Monday, January 19, 2009

All the Hype Your Money Can Buy

Okay, lets get straight to it. There is a significant amount of hubub going on in the DC area, and with good purpose. There's a lot of big, historic change going on in the management department which is, needless to say, worth giving at least a few moments of one's attention. I truly believe this. People who don't plan on watching at least Mr. Obama's speech on the 20th (because of political reasons), I desire only to say, stop moping and get on with life. There are two things that I believe are our civic duty as self-respecting Americans: Listen to the President (Google definition: "to hear with intention." Therefore, hear what he says, not particularly DO what he says), and Support our soldiers abroad (if anything like the reaction to the soldiers after Vietnam occurs again I may have to disown the American public).

Digressing beliefs aside, there is something that is rubbing me wrong about DC right now. Not DC as much as the people that will be there tomorrow. Let me repeat myself, this year's inauguration is a significant historical event. This does not however give an excuse for some Americans to lose their minds and behave out of hand. I'm not talking about some frat bros painting their bodies, and spelling out O-B-A-M-A on a range of pasty white bodies. I may let that pass. What I'm referring to, is people who are too caught up in the hype to realize that, just like 90% of people who claim to be Decemberists fans, a powerful, nearly invisible force has hidden the tiny man behind a thick curtian.

That powerful force is the media; and the curtain, the hype. No one can deny that the media has an incredible amount of power today, especially in the US. I'm not condemning the media for what it does or what it leaves out, though I will admit, I used to lean very strongly in that direction. I will make the claim that media is biased, and that saying otherwise is naiive and a sign of ignorance. Pulling the aid of Google again, BIAS is defined as, "a partiality that prevents objective consideration of an issue or situation." Omniscience would be the only way the media could be unbiased; to be able to cover every single tiny particle of an event. This is, of course, impossible. The partialities that hinder truth, are even (will he say it) occasionally intentional. Controversial, I know, but lets be honest- Fox News network is very Conservative affiliated, and the New York Times is so Left it could almost be considered "sinister" (props to you scholars who got that).

But it wasn't just the NYT or Fox that got me angry at the American public's weak state, it was every medium; magazines, radio, commercials. These "trusted" news sources took a man, who is still a man mind you ( no matter how resourceful he is), and made him into something much, much larger. I actually feel genuinely concerned for Mr. Obama. How in the world can a man live up to the lofty expectations that the media claims he will fulfill? And how badly will the American public lambast him if/when he doesn't meet their expectations? I give him my support, and my best wishes, as well as my belief that he could do a lot of good, but I feel very strongly that he will not accomplish much more than half of what he claims, and I know for a fact that many people will not be forgiving of this "failure".

So am I mad at people for getting angry at Obama? Yes. But what else? There are people driving hundreds of miles, for hundreds of hours just so they can be in DC. They will not see Obama in person at all throughout their stay, but they will be there. This is what frustrates me. I have two friends who will be in DC tomorrow watching Obama speak in person. When they said to me, "Josh, we're going to be at the inauguration in DC!" I was happy for them and excited that they got to take part in such an event. However, over the past few weeks, I've heard from numerous people that same phrase, but it means something completely different. It means instead, "we're going to be(in a warm room, watching it on tv) in DC!" Why is this frustrating? You can do that at home. "But why not go the extra length, Josh?" Barack Obama is the president of the United States, and you are the American public who elected him. Barack Obama is NOT (insert favorite movie star or band), and you are NOT his groupies who worship him because its "the thing" or because "politics is hip now."

Though that's a thought. I will give Obama and the media that. Even though the media has built Obama into a half truth (we shall see if he remains half or becomes more or less), they have gotten people into politics again, which is something this country needed. America got a wakeup call when they realized that the government wasn't doing what they wanted it to do. I like to think sometimes that people like myself, who told those who kept bitching to shut up and vote rather than whine, had something to do with it. I'm sure we got a few people to the polls, but I must bow out to the popularity of the Bush administration, as well as the media for the voter turnout. Even though some people across the coutnry are still lining up, buying obscure wines from Lancaster, Pennsylvania (regardless of taste!) for the sole reason that it's what's being served at the party afterwards, I really hope that the greater majority of the people going to DC just to be apart of the group find something more while they're there. Whether it's renewed nationalism, the realization that their vote has power, or if its just a celebration of the departure of Dubya, as long as they find a better reason to be in the Nation's capital than just to say, "I was there," I whole-heartedly respect that.

I will be watching the Inauguration speech tomrrow, and I will be watching Mr. Obama closely because I don't know the commander-in-chief as well as I'd like, and I need to, even if his speeches are written by someone else. If Obama did nothing but improve our International reputation, i'd be satisfied. I'm sick of being stereotyped as a "Bush" American abroad and I think a little reputation boost should be in the perscription. How about good old America that actually solves problems? It's getting old watching Sarkozy act out a diplomatic version of Sisyphus, anyhow. Up goes the diplomatic treaty from Georgia, down it comes with the artillary shells from Russia. He does try so hard. I hope he can cook. The French cuisine is much better than their diplomatic ambitions.

No comments:

Post a Comment